Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I Host the Way of Julia Child

When throwing a dinner party, it is essential to use Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  Seriously! I've no shame in admitting that I was inspired from watching Julie & Julia two summers ago and that subsequently I purchased the thick cooking treatise on French cookery.  However, unlike Julie, I did not vow to cook every recipe in this book in a year.  My goal was modest.  I wanted to throw a dinner party every now and then, inviting a small group of friends to break bread and to imbibe the gift of Dionysus, so that we can revel in our witty exchanges and simply chillax.  But obviously, I wanted us to eat something delicious, and Julia was the answer.

This weekend, I threw my first dinner party.  I made Coq au vin (Julia translates it as 'Chicken in Red Wine with Onions, Mushrooms, and Bacon,' but I think 'Cock in Wine' sounds better) and Haricots verts à la provençale (Green Beans with Tomatoes, Garlic, and Herbs). I like to take this opportunity to pat myself on the back, because the food was ah-may-zing. Of course, I went a little crazy with the preparation. At one point I had a flow chart made and I was following it step by step in addition to following Julia's instructions.  I planned it so that the food would be done by 7pm on the dot, the time all my guests were to have arrived.  But when two of my friends were 15 minutes late, I almost spazzed out, because I was worried that my main dish would have cooled and I would have to spend time reheating it.  If I had known that they would be late, I would have inserted into the flow chart Julia's additional instructions for setting aside the dish to be served later and then reheating it for service. But, alas, I didn't need the additional steps. The food cooling a little is not a catastrophe make.

All in all, the food won universal high praise. Julia knew what she was doing when she wrote her masterpiece. And I thank her for it.

Now, I must plan for my next dinner party. What to make, what to make. Hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment